Sisters of St. Benedict

In 1903, mission-minded Benedictine Sisters of St. Scholastica Monastery in Duluth, Minnesota, heard the call of God to serve the children of Polish immigrants of Holy Ghost Parish in Winnipeg, Manitoba. In the fall of that year, five teaching Sisters embarked on a journey north to Canada, which became a cornerstone in the lives of the Sisters of St. Benedict of Winnipeg.

A few years later, in 1912 the still-young Duluth community recalled them, but when Polish-speaking Sisters could not be found to replace them the Holy Ghost School was in danger of closing. The Bishop of St. Boniface invited four of them to start up a new community of Benedictines in Manitoba. So with only 27 cents to their name and without the security of their homeland and monastery, they said “yes” to an unknown future on the prairies of Canada.

Within a month of the foundation of the fledgling community, orphans were brought to its door and by the end of the year they were caring for 20 orphans. They moved to Arborg for a few years and in 1961 back to the current site of St. Benedict’s Monastery just on the northern outskirts of Winnipeg. Almost overnight new members came and new ministries appeared on the prairies of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Nova Scotia, and North Dakota. Hospital work expanded into rural areas of Manitoba, North Dakota, and the Northwest Territories, to Winnipeg and Calgary, and to the care of elderly in Arborg, Winnipeg, and the Winnipegosis-Mossey River area.

    Communities of Service:

    st joseph's residence    Winnipegosis

    CHCM Today. Our Legacy. Our Mission.

    Learn about the powerful legacy CHCM has inherited.