Missionary Oblate Sisters of St. Boniface

The Archbishop of St. Boniface, Manitoba founded the first Manitoba religious community, known as “The Missionary Oblate Sisters of the Sacred Heart and of Mary Immaculate” with a commitment to serve the poor and ethnic minorities.

In 1902, Archbishop Louis-Philippe Adélard Langevin built a modest house on Aulneau Street in St. Boniface as a residence for teachers and students, both lay and religious, who attended the Normal School next door. By November 1902, four women lived in the house. The largest room was soon converted into a place of prayer and by 1904 the new Oblate mission was officially founded.

The Missionary Oblate Sisters’ principal mandate was to teach religion and French in schools in the parishes and missions. The mandate led the Sisters to carry on the works of education, compassion, and justice in the spirit of oblation handed down by their founder and co-foundresses, Sister Saint-Viateur, the first Superior General, and Sister Marie-Joseph-du-Sacré-Coeur, her assistant and Formation Director for new recruits.

In the first 60 years, the Sisters served in most of the provinces in Canada. Their mission extended mainly to private, public, parochial, and residential schools. Since the 1960s, the Missionary Oblate Sisters’ field of apostolate has broadened, diversified, and taken on daring dimensions in Canada as well as in developing countries, namely Central Africa, Haiti, and Thailand in order to meet the needs of the changing times.

In 2010 they gave up their Mother House to develop seniors housing in Villa Aulneau.

    From Convent to Seniors Housing

    Tour the former Oblate Mother House now Villa Aulneau.

    Community of Service: